Six years ago, I stumbled upon the edges of the book blogging world, whose awesome book reviews and fun challenges made me want a piece of that cake. I was in my second year at grad school and I was going through a long spell of disillusionment and lack of inspiration. A lot of non-fun activities were in progress - job hunting, thesis, a couple of dud courses, and some family matters. I was visiting and staying with my cousin's family in LA for the holidays and was on the lookout for a big distraction from all my grad school worries. So when I came across a couple of book blogs, I knew that's exactly what I wanted to do. Also, the year-end was when everyone was talking about challenges, new year resolutions, and reading plans, so the book-blogging community was even more happening then than it usually is at other times of the year.
I didn't have any plan or purpose when I started blogging nor do I have one now, other than to talk primarily about books and occasionally about the other things that happen in my life. And although I've been through phases when I wanted a blogging break and when I've questioned what the heck I'm doing here, I always come back here because it's my little corner of the interwebs where I can prattle about anything but mainly because of the amazing book blogging community.
During the past six years, I
It's amazing how much life has changed since then but in many ways, things are still the same. I know blogging has changed me immensely:
- I no longer read the same books that I did when I first started blogging.
- I didn't use to talk much about books pre-blogging but now I do. A lot.
- I used to read maybe a couple of books a year. I have always loved reading but I never ran from book to book. Now, I read as if my days are numbered.
- The discovery of readathons and readalongs was like an early Christmas present for me.
- I have bought more books over the past few years than in all the previous years combined.
Six years on the blog have resulted in
- 874 published posts,
- 12036 comments,
- 273 reviews, with 213 alone being of fiction titles,
- 403 books read,
- 154,669 visits since I started tracking with Google Analytics in August 2010,
- Most visitors in a single day (205 on Feb 16, 2014),
- 1082 twitter followers,
- 3930 tweets, and
- 11,754 views of my most popular post, Hell-Heaven by Jhumpa Lahiri.
While I didn't think I would still be blogging for six years, I am glad to still be at it. Here's to many more years around here. Also? Thanks for hanging around!